Saturday, March 12, 2011

Miami to Fort Lauderdale - March 11, 2011

Dominoes of the gods
The Intracoastal Waterway northward from Miami is an entirely different experience. Hemmed in by continuous development, it is an emasculated version of its wild and woolly cousin leading south through the Keys.  As I cruised, I passed a seemingly endless parade of massive, high-rise condominiums lined up as though the gods were engaged in a game of dominoes. I tried to imagine what it would be like to live in a cubicle with a thousand neighbors, removed from the earth, in a land devoid of topographic relief and lacking in seasons.  As a Midwestern adventure junkie fond of toting my home around, I found it beyond comprehension. 
Holland American Line cruise ship
Yesterday’s cold front had left a legacy of a stiff north wind, forcing me to zip up all opening on the flying bridge for the first time in weeks.  The brisk, cool air was actually a relief and could get no purchase on the corralled waterway.  As I approached Fort Lauderdale I passed first an immense cruise ship and then a gaggle of mega-yachts, 150 – 200+ feet in length.  Dream Quest suddenly felt like an inadequate dinghy.  The display of wealth was absolutely staggering.  I half expected James Bond to make a showing at any moment with Miss Mortgage Galore.
Does that helicopter cover by any chance come in blue?
Ft. Lauderdale Beach

I secured the boat to a mooring ball at the city marina and headed for the beach to observe spring break first hand.  It was not Girls Gone Wild but rather more like Girls and Guys Gone Cell Phone.  It was all quite subdued and highly commercialized. The only real evidence I saw of fun were fresh faced college kids sipping mammoth fruit drinks, one poor bastard puking same at curbside and another falling down drunk being dragged from a club entryway by security.  Like wow dude, like what really like cool memories man, OMG, BFF, LOL.

I stayed over a day to rest, write and to check out the giant St. Paddy's Day celebration scheduled for downtown. There was a stage, fire dancers, fireworks and a loud and discordant "Irish" band, but like the beach scene it all seemed rather forced or am I getting old and cynical?  You don't suppose?

Fire Dancer
Balloon artist

Native Americans Gone Wild?

No comments:

Post a Comment